- Rehearsals are held every week, except the week of Christmas and New Year’s. This includes the Memorial Day Monday as well as other Monday holidays or school week vacations! Easter Sunday is a holiday and day off for those groups that rehearse on Sundays. Rehearsals begin the week of September 10th for the 2017-2018 season.
- Please try to avoid taking the SAT on concert or rehearsal days by choosing an alternate test date(Please see the 2017-2018 SAT test schedule). It is vitally important that all members do their utmost to schedule taking the SAT exam on another date.
- Specific rehearsal details for each ensemble:
- Philharmonic Orchestra: Los Gatos United Methodist Church (LGUMC) – Social Hall, Mondays 6:30 – 9:30 pm (map)
- Chamber Orchestra: LGUMC – Social Hall, Sundays 3:00 – 6:00 pm (map)
- Concert Orchestra: Faith Lutheran Church – Ross Hall, Los Gatos, Mondays 6:30 – 9:00 pm (map)
- Avancé Flute Choir: Orange Music Studio (OMS), Mondays 7:45 – 9:15 pm (map)
- Avant Flute Choir: Orange Music Studio (OMS), Mondays 6:00 – 7:30 pm (map)
- Jazz Ensemble: West Valley College, Music Building, Saturdays 9:00 – 11:00 am (map and campus map)
- Concert Winds Ensemble : LGUMC -Social Hall, Sundays 6:30 – 8:30 pm (map)
- Saxophone Ensemble : LGUMC – Fireside Room, Sundays 5:30 – 6:15 pm (map)
- Percussion Ensemble: Valley Christian HS, Wednesday 6:00 – 8:00 pm (map)
- Harp Ensemble: Valley Christian HS, Every Other Wednesday 6:30 – 8:30 pm (map)
- Prelude and Intermezzo String Ensembles: LGUMC – Fireside Room & Sanctuary, Mondays, Yellow Group: 4-6 pm & Blue Group: 6:30-8:30 pm (map)
- Extra rehearsals may be required based on the concert requirements. The conductor or Music Director will decide and notify the musicians if extra rehearsals are needed. In tour years, extra rehearsals are required to ensure the orchestra is prepared for the tour performances.
- Musicians are expected to practice and come prepared per their conductor’s direction. They should arrive 15 minutes before the start of rehearsal so that they have time to get settled and warm up.
- All musicians must check in with the attendance taker when they arrive. Failure to do so will be recorded as an absence;
- Musicians arriving late should quietly unpack their instruments at the back of the rehearsal room and quickly find their seat without disrupting their conductor or fellow musicians. Late arrivals may be asked by the conductor to sit out till the break so they do not disrupt the rehearsal.
- Musicians are required to bring their instrument (and accessories), music, music stand, black binder, and a pencil for note taking;
- Musicians are required to check their email each week to read conductor messages regarding rehearsals and concerts sent to them via Google Groups;
- Parents are not allowed in rehearsal rooms (unless they are volunteering at that time)
- For SAFETY reasons, younger members MUST be picked up by an adult from their rehearsal room. SJYS will not allow a young musician to leave alone, even though he/she might have a parent waiting in the parking lot.
- No food or drinks (except bottled water) are allowed in ANY of the rehearsal rooms.
- Musicians will not do homework, talk, nor leave the rehearsal site during rehearsal hours.
Each orchestra and ensemble is made up of musicians who perform together as a team. Everyone’s participation and regular attendance is essential to the success of our concerts. The details of our Attendance Policy are outline in the SJYS Member Handbook which is available for download when you login to the Members Only Page.