About Our Auditions
Our General Auditions for the 2024-2025 Season are coming up in April, 2024!
THURSDAYS & FRIDAYS, 4 PM – 9 PM: APRIL 4, 5, 11 & 12, 2024
SATURDAYS, 10 AM – 6 PM: APRIL 6 & 13, 2024
All interested student musicians are invited to apply here : 24-25 GENERAL AUDITIONS APPLICATION
Membership to the San Jose Youth Symphony is by audition and/or invitation only. Each new applicant or returning member must pass the audition to join. Please note that our program is meant to be a supplement rather than a substitute to school music programs and we expect our members to participate in their school music program.
While SJYS membership is for the complete season, students who participate in school marching band will be able to audition and join our program starting in January.
Please note the following important points about our auditions:
- We welcome students from 3rd grade through college-level to apply. Exceptions to this grade-level range are made only at the discretion of the artistic staff.
- When you submit the online application, you will receive a copy of the completed application form at the email address you specified in the form. THIS CONSTITUTES CONFIRMATION THAT YOUR APPLICATION WAS RECEIVED. Please make sure to check your spam folder for it if you don’t see it in your inbox.
- A $30 non-refundable application fee is required for all new and returning members no later than the date of the audition. We will send you an email request for payment within 2 weeks of the date of your submission.
- Applicants will be notified of their audition date and time between the days/dates of THURS, March 9 – THURS, March 16, 2023. Missed auditions will not be rescheduled. Each applicant may only audition once per season.
- Musicians must meet these Artistic Requirements in order to pass the audition.
Our Audition Process
- Audition applicants should arrive 15 minutes before their scheduled time and bring:
- Their instrument & all necessary accessories (rock stop; reeds; mouthpiece, etc.).
- Their music.
- At check-in, applicants will be led to a warm-up area where they can set up their instruments and be prepared to be led to their assigned audition room at their scheduled time.
- The audition will be no longer than 6-8 minutes long and will consist of three (3) parts:
- Performance of 1-2 solo pieces: applicant should be prepared to play two contrasting sections (one slow [demonstrating musicality, lyricism] and one fast [demonstrating musical technique]) in 1 piece OR play 1 fast solo and 1 slow solo.
- Perform a two-or-three-scale octave (see Artistic Requirements) The Audition Judge will choose the key, mode (major or minor), and number of octaves for the applicant to perform.
- Sightreading an excerpt to demonstrate recognition of key and time signatures, rhythm, and accidentals.
- Our artistic staff determines the placement of each applicant to the appropriate level of ensemble or orchestra based on their audition. We will notify applicants in approximately 2-3 weeks after their auditions.
The Benefits of Becoming an SJYS Member!
- Professional orchestral performance training under our conductors and artistic staff
- Concert performances in the most prestigious venues locally and internationally for our most advanced orchestra musicians
- Sectional coaching and master classes from world-class musicians
- Chamber music programs
- Weeklong music summer camps